Diet and weight loss go hand in hand. Knowing which healthy food choices to make is a must for you to lose the weight and keep it off. Here are just a few tips to help you on your quest to lose weight
Eating healthy food is essential to lose weight!
- · Follow the Blood Type Diet.
- · Reduce or eliminate foods made with white flour or white sugar, and avoid refined foods which have a high glycemic index rating.
- · A golden rule is to ensure there is protein with each meal. A serving size is about the size of your palm and about as thick. This is equivalent to approximately 20g of pure protein a meal and includes meat, poultry, fish and seafood. Protein stabilizes blood sugars, aiding in ‘fat loss’.
- · Cut out all sugar and artificial sweeteners. You will have to become a label reader because sugar can be added to almost anything, including savory foods such as baked beans, tomato ketchup and even bread. To make sugar content appear lower, manufacturers list all the different types of sugar separately (look for words ending in -ose, such as fructose, glucose and sucrose).
- · Choose your carbohydrate foods from fruit and vegetables and a small amount of low GI grains such as brown rice and wholegrains.
- · Minimize refined/processed carbohydrates such as sugar, sweets, chocolate, white flour, refined grains, dried fruit and fruit juices.
- · Include omega oils in your diet. These allow your cell membranes to work efficiently, slow the absorption of carbohydrate into your bloodstream and make food taste good. Good examples are oily fish, flaxseed oil, safflower and sunflower oil.
- · Restrict saturated fats found in organ meats, fat on red meat, high-fat dairy foods and coconut. These tend to make the cell membrane very rigid so blood sugar cannot pass easily into the cell. Use coconut oil and palm oil sparingly for high heat cooking only.
Top Tips for Diet and Weight Loss
Apart from diet and weight loss, here are a few more strategies to be mindful of as you start on your weight loss journey.
· A very simple tip to help with weight loss is to chew well and take your time when eating. It takes your brain 20 minutes to register that you are full, so if you eat more slowly, you will actually want to eat less.
- · If you struggle with sugar imbalances such as Hypoglycemia, Insulin Resistance or Diabetes it is important to help your body repair it’s sugar handling mechanism. Eating little and often is of great benefit. Don’t let more than five hours pass between meals. By skipping meals regularly, your metabolism will slow down because your body thinks there is a shortage of food. Always have healthy snacks available.
- · Don’t go grocery shopping when you are hungry or before a meal. You are more likely to make poorer food choices. Stick to the outside isles of the supermarket. The inside isles contain non-perishable items and these can include chocolate, sweets, biscuits, and other sugar-laden food that should not be consumed if you want to lose weight!
Exercise for Weight Loss
Exercise PLUS a healthy diet equals weight loss!
Diet and weight loss are necessary but so is exercise. Exercise is an essential part of any weight loss program and makes up a large part of living in accordance with wellness principles. The first way to make it enjoyable is to choose a form of exercise that you enjoy and that is also most beneficial for your blood type. The second and most important rule is to BEGIN SLOWLY. The other thing to remember is that once you are fit, exercise gives you a sense of wellbeing.
More Naturopathic Tips for Weight Loss
Embrace wellness and vitality principles. Understand that weight gain is a symptom of an imbalanced body. For true weight loss to occur it requires the whole body to become balanced. Resist old habits and embrace a new lifestyle which has far greater rewards than your old ways.
- · Prayer and Meditation. Practice prayer and meditation regularly to correct previous attachments to food and exercise. Meditation also assists the body with reducing cravings associated with the withdrawal of toxins.
- · The LIVE Method. Underlying emotional issues can cause us to reach for “comfort” in the form of a cookie. By difussing these unwanted negative refluxes we can experience a life full of endless possibilities! A life where our underlying yearnings are no longer connected to harmful impoulses; but rather, tied to life giving desires that nourish our body, mind and souls.
- · Far Infrared Sauna. Affectionately called our 800 Calorie Box! Far Infrared Sauna sessions have been show to not only burn up to 800 calories per session, they have been shown to help with detoxification as they help bring the body back into health - turning you into a learn, healthy life giving machine!